Wigan manager GS has a pair of meetings to attend Monday morning. Firstly he’ll unveil new signing Maxime Schenkel to the invited media at the DW Stadium, before being invited to Stamford Bridge to discuss terms of the vacant managers position at Chelsea. They sit 6th in the Premier League, hampered by injuries, but have a large transfer kitty at their disposal.
Amusingly, if you do a Google image search for Maxime Schenkel, you get the Real-Time FM logo.
Chelsea chairman Roman Abramovich offered Wigan manager GS a five year contract on £64k/wk to take the managerial job at Stamford Bridge. Transfer budget of £11.75m, wage budget of £2.3m/wk (!), current player wage total £2.13m/wk. Lifelong Latics fan Grayson Surman was flattered by the interest, but declined the offer from the club lying 10th in the Premier League, two points behind his own.
“You sit here alongside new signing Maxime Schenkel. Are you pleased to have got your man?”
- “I am pleased this opportunity has been passed to us. Maxime is a fine player.”
“As Schenkel is just 20 years old, do you see this signing as one for the future?””
- “I had the next few years in mind when looking at this deal.”
“How much research did you and your staff put into this signing, a player who is a relative unknown?”
- “We worked night and day covering every angle to ensure this signing was the right one.”
“Do you think it will be a problem that Maxime doesn’t speak English?”
- “I have no concerns, football is a universal language and Maxime will get on just fine.”
“You have Jean Beausejour who speaks French, will he be helping Schenkel to settle at the club?”
- “It’s important for a new player to have somebody at the club they can talk to easily and I’m sure Jean will be happy to help.”
“This signals your first foray into the transfer market so far. Can we expect much further activity?”
- “I will certainly be looking to bring a few more new faces in.”
Do you agree with those who say that the four-year contract given to Schenkel represents a risk if things don’t work out?
- “I have absolutely no worries about this deal and I’m delighted Maxime accepted our offer.”