A press conference has been called at DW Stadium ahead of the Barclays Premier League match between Wigan Athletic and Tottenham Hotspur tonight.
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR: 1st, Played 21, Won 15, Drawn 1, Lost 1. Scored 46 (league highest), Conceded 16. 50 points. Top Scorer: Adebayor, 19 (league highest)
WIGAN ATHLETIC: 7th, Played 21, Won 8, Drawn 7, Lost 6. Scored 31, Conceded 31. 31 points. Top Scorer: John Guidetti, 12 (joint second in league).
Daily Mirror: Haven’t you let the fans down by declaring an interest in the Chelsea job? Many of them have reacted angrily and are saying that they simply don’t want you at the club any more.
– “I didn’t expect such a reaction and it doesn’t benefit the club at all.”
Football365.com: Schenkel is available for the match against Tottenham, so will you be throwing your new signing straight into the side?
- “It’s perhaps too soon for Maxime, though I am sure he will be ready for a starting spot in the near future.”
BBC Radio 5 Live: Tottenham are confident that they know how you are going to play. Will you be looking to spring a tactical surprise or two?
- “I have a number of plans to choose from to keep things interesting.”
Daily Mirror: You suffered defeat the last time you met Tottenham. How will that affect the team mentally ahead of this game?
- “The team are itching to set the record straight.”
Daily Mirror: Tottenham are curently on a seven match unbeaten run and the title contenders lie in 1st place in the Barclays Premier League. Tottenham have won three of their last five away games in the league. This is certainly going to be a tough match given Tottenham’s current form. Are you confident of a win on Saturday?
- “I am confident as long as we stick to our game plan.”
BBC Radio 5 Live: Would you agree that Gareth Bale will prove the main threat to the Wigan defence in the forthcoming match?
- “It would be dangerous to concentrate solely on Bale. We have to be aware of all the opposition players.”
Daily Mirror: With Figueroa departing, many have suggested that you may hand more opportunities to some of the club’s younger players, such as Jordan Mustoe. Is this something you are likely to do?
– “The opportunity is there for anyone at this club to step up and show that they have what it takes, and I’m certainly keen to see one or two in the team.”
Guardian: Will the funds brought in by Maynor Figueroa’s sale be re-invested in the first team squad?
- “The money is there to spend if we want to, yes.”
Guardian: The sale of Figueroa has unquestionably caused concern amongst the Wigan fanbase. How will you appease the supporters and convince them that the transfer will benefit the club in the long term?
- “This wasn’t an easy decision for anyone at the club to make, but if the supporters are patient they will see that things will work out well.”
People: Recent reports have linked you with a move for Swansea left-back Neil Taylor. Are you prepared to go on record with your thoughts on this story?
- “It is unlikely that we will make a move for him at this time.”
BBC Radio 5 Live: The draw for the FA Cup has been tough on Wigan, matching your side against Arsenal. Is that an assessment you agree with?
- “I think it’s a good challenge and one I am looking forward to.”