Monday 20 May:
News coming from Anfield this morning is that the Liverpool board have shown manager Brendan Rodgers the door following their disappointing 7th-placed finish in the Premier League this season, and failure to qualify for any European competition. Rodgers joined Liverpool a year ago following a successful period at Swansea City. The press are reporting that Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp is top of the shortlist, with Guus Hiddink, Slaven Bilic and Manuel Pellegrini already making the bookmakers’ shortlists. Dortmund finished 3rd in Bundesliga this season, but didn’t make it past the Europa League second knockout round.
Southampton have also parted company with their manager today, Nigel Adkins has been sacked by club chairman Nicola Cortese. Adkins took Saints into the Premier League but failed to avoid their immediate relegation back to the Championship, picking up just 21 points, finishing rock bottom, and failing to win in any of their last eight matches.
In Serie A, Sampdoria have sacked Ciro Ferrara after their relegation.
- Atalanta (18th, Serie A) [Relegated]
- Augsburg (17th, Bundesliga) [R]
- Colwyn Bay (19th, Conf. North)
- Corby Town (21st, Conf. North) [R]
- Crawley Town (21st, League One) [R]
- Falkirk (4th, Scottish First Division)
- Fleetwood Town (21st, League Two)
- Hinckley United (22nd, Conf. North) [R]
- Liverpool (7th, Premier League)
- Sampdoria (20th, Serie A) [R]
- Siena (19th, Serie A) [R]
- Southampton (20th, Premier League) [R]
Wigan Athletic Academy:
- The WAFC board have announced that construction work has begun on the upgrade of the club’s youth facilities. An initial estimate indicates that the planned expansion work will cost around £325k. It is expected that the improvements at Christopher Park will be complete for January 2014.
First Team Squad News:
- The Wigan Athletic squad have now gone on holiday until pre-season begins and will report back for training on 1st July.
Yearly Training Summary:
Assistant manager Graeme Jones has put together a review of how training has been going over the past season and how players have developed.
- Improved Significantly: Franco di Santo, Alex Serrano, Adam Buxton
- Improved Remarkably: Abubaka Sheego, Luke Ainscough
- Declined Slightly: Jordi Gomez
- Early Signs of Decline: Shaun Maloney, McDonald Mariga
- Significant Decline: Mike Pollitt
- Youth Progression: Andrew Mason, Timothy Chow
- Remarkable Youths: Omar Thompson, Bram Johnstone, Calvin Hare