Spain meet Japan in Sao Paulo today with qualification for the Second Round sealed, with Japan looking for the point they need to join them. Should they slip up then Colombia have to beat Algeria and turn around a three-goal swing to set-up a last sixteen tie against Group B winners Uruguay.
Odds: Algeria 6-4F v. Colombia 13-8 (Draw 2-1)
Odds: Spain 4-7F v. Japan 4-1 (Draw 5-2)
- 02′ SPA 0-1 JAP: Blistering start in Sao Paulo as Tadanari Lee looks to upset the holders with a goal inside two minutes. Ibusuki has a shot from just inside the box that Casillas pushes wide. Kagawa keeps it in, pulls it back to Lee who is eight yards out and can’t miss.
- 09′ SPA 0-1 JAP: Trouble for Spain as they’ll have to play out the next 82 minutes with only ten men. Jordi Alba flies into a strong, two-footed challenge on Kiyotake in front of the benches. No hesitation for the Italian referee who produces a straight red card.
- HT: Colombia 0-0 Algeria, Spain 0-1 Japan. JAP and SPA qualifying.
- 75′ SPA 0-1 JAP: Michihiro Yasuda has pulled-up chasing a Spanish ball over the top. Looks like his groin has gone. Goalscorer Tadanari Lee also looks like he’s in some discomfort.
- 82′ COL 1-0 ALG: Colombia are relying on Spain to score twice, as well as pulling off a 2-0 win themselves. Falcao has scored his 30th goal for his country with a delightful diving header twelve yards out. Armero with a great cross into the box that Falcao guides past M’Bolhi.
- 90′ COL 2-0 ALG: Mostefa has bundled Gutiérrez over in the box, and Falcao steps up and smashes a perfect penalty into the top corner to seal the win, just as the clock ticks past the ninety minute mark.
Japan will play the runners-up in Group B, likely South Korea
Spain will likely play Uruguay in the Second Round on 28 June.