South Korea went into the final matchday knowing progression through to the last sixteen was already secure, so rested a couple of players against the tie against Uruguay in Fortaleza, which their opponents needed a point from in order to qualify.
Belgium and Bosnia met in Rio de Janeiro, with Bosnia able to progress if Uruguay lost and Bosnia could win by two goals.
Odds: Uruguay 5-4F v. South Korea 7-4 (Draw 11-5)
Odds: Belgium 6-4F v. Bosnia & Herzegovina 13-8 (Draw 2-1)
- 14′ URU 1-0 SKR: Jorge Fucile has scored his first-ever goal for his country to put Uruguay in front inside quarter of an hour. The right-back isn’t picked up as he bursts into the box, gets on the end of Olivera’s through-ball and slots past Sung-Ryong. Uruguay through with a win.
- 25′ BEL 0-1 BOS: Edin Dzeko keeps up his scoring run in Brazil with his fourth goal of the tournament, and 35th for his country. Bosnia keeping up their end of the bargain, all eyes now on South Korea to get a win in the other Group B match.
- 29′ URU 1-1 SKR: A goal cheered at both stadia, as Yoo Byung-Soo equalises for South Korea against Uruguay. Nice ball over the top from Jung-Woo that Byung-Soo runs on to, rounds Muslera and taps home from close range.
- 36′ URU 2-1 SKR: Parity only lasts seven minutes as Christian Stuani gets his second goal of the tournament. Tae-Hwi attempts a header back to his ‘keeper but he misjudges it, allowing Stuani to nip in and place the ball past Sung-Ryong. Advantage: Uruguay!
- 40′ URU 3-1 SKR: Christian Stuani has another goal today as Tae-Hwi is at fault again. Olivera gets the ball into Stuani on the edge of the box, his marker slips, and he turns and curls it into the top corner from eighteen yards out. Great goal, but shouldn’t have had the opportunity to shoot. Uruguay looking most likely to win the group now.
- HT: Uruguay 3-1 South Korea, Belgium 0-1 Bosnia. URU and SKR qualifying.
- 58′ BEL 0-1 BOS: Belgium have the opportunity to level from the spot when Bickacic clips Meunier inside the six-yard box, but Axel Witsel has his penalty saved by Begovic.
- 64′ BEL 1-1 BOS: Bosnia’s feint hope at progression on their World Cup début is all but eliminated as Thomas Meunier slams the ball into the bottom corner from 20 yards out after a neat one-two with Vossen.
- 75′ BEL 2-1 BOS: Axel Witsel has a second chance to score from the spot after Pandza loses possession to Meunier then wrestles him to the ground. He goes the same way as last time, but Begovic guesses wrong and Belgium lead for the first time in the tournament.
- 83′ BEL 3-1 BOS: Belgium have come into life in the last half hour, but it’s too little too late to save them. Both sides just going for it as there’s nothing to play for now. Kevin Mirallas deftly chips home the loose ball from 20 yards after Vossen’s effort is pushed away.
- 90′ URU 4-1 SKR: It’s the third hat-trick of the tournament, and Christian Stuani sends Uruguay through as group winners. It’s a terrible goal kick that lands straight at him 40 yards out. He’s clean through and chips it home from just inside the box.
Uruguay will play the runners-up in Group A, Spain.
South Korea will play the Group A winners, Japan.