Switzerland have the chance to be the only team in the tournament to win all three of their group matches, as they take on Senegal in Porto Alegre this evening. The Swiss are through safely, but Senegal need a huge goal swing if they’re to climb from fourth to second.
England need to avoid defeat to USA to go through. USA will progress with a win.
Odds: USA 11-5 v. England Evens F (Draw 11-5)
Odds: Switzerland 4-5F v. Senegal 3-1 (Draw 2-1)
- 05′ SWI 1-0 SEN: Cheikh Gueye bundles Klose over at a corner and the Norwegian official points to the spot inside the opening four minutes. Gökhan Inler – who has agreed an £11m move from Napoli to Liverpool – smashes the penalty into the top corner.
- 08′ USA 1-0 ENG: Jozy Altidore robs Phil Jones and sends a ball across the face of goal for Chris Wondolowski who takes a touch before firing the States in front.
- 13′ USA 1-1 ENG: England back on level terms within five minutes. Smalling flicks on a Baines corner at the near post and Wayne Rooney gets in front of his marker to nod home an equaliser.
- 18′ USA 2-1 ENG: The United States go back in front and it’s a calamitous own goal. Donovan hits a high ball into the English penalty area and Leighton Baines slices his clearance towards goal, it hits Chris Smalling and goes in.
- 37′ SWI 1-1 SEN: Magaye Gueye looks like he’s lost the ball in the box when Morganella challenges, but he gets to it first and clips it over Benaglio for an equaliser against the run of play.
- HT: United States 2-1 Engand, Switzerland 1-1 Senegal. SWI and USA qualifying.
- 64′ SWI 1-2 SEN: Armand Traoré puts Senegal in front for the first time in the tournament with a wonderful lob over Benaglio from 35 yards out. Great finish from the QPR man, his first goal for his country.
- 85′ USA 2-2 ENG: – It’s his 47th goal for his country and this could be massive. Joe Hart pumps the ball forwards, Baines gets it to Adam Johnson who squares into the six yard box where Wayne Rooney slides home for 2-2. England through as it stands.
- 90′ USA 3-2 ENG: USA! USA! USA! The clock shows 92:32 of the indicated 3 additional minutes, and the States push everyone forwards. Phil Jones is caught in possession, and Donovan picks out Eddie Gaven. USA are 4 on 3 going forwards, and Gaven beats Hart with a 15-yard drive to put them through. What a time to score your first international goal!
Switzerland win the group and will play Croatia.
USA will face hosts Brazil in Rio on Sunday.