Saudi Arabia and Italy meet knowing that the winner of their tie will go through, while Chile will be looking to beat Ghana in order to secure their progress regardless of the result in the other game.
If Chile draw then they’ll need a three-goal Italian win in order to sneak through on goals scored. Ghana can qualify with a win if either Saudi Arabia win too, or Italy win with a four-goal swing between the two games.
Odds: Chile 6-4F v. Ghana 13-8 (Draw 2-1)
Odds: Saudi Arabia 13-2 v. Italy 2-5F (Draw 11-4)
- 13′ CHI 0-1 GHA: Asamoah doesn’t give up on what looks like a lost cause, keeping the ball in play at the goal-line and picking out Kevin-Prince Boateng in the six-yard box to give Ghana the lead.
- 18′ SAU 0-0 ITA: Abdullah Alhafith nicks the ball from Mario Balotelli in the Saudi penalty area and Balotelli goes down in a heap. No nonsense from the English referee who cautions the Italian for the dive. He’ll be suspended for the Second Round if they go through.
- 24′ SAU 0-1 ITA: There’s a loose ball in the penalty area after Giovinco has an effort blocked, it’s not cleared before Mario Balotelli can swivel and prod it home from ten yards out.
- 27′ SAU 0-2 ITA: A long throw causes panic in the Saudi box who fluff a clearance. Chiellini fires a cross right across the goal area, Marchisio has his flick towards goal palmed away but Fernando Forestieri is on hand to slam home the rebound.
- 37′ CHI 1-1 GHA: There’s a fantastic equaliser for Chile through Alexis Sánchez who sells Nuhu a dummy, turning him one way then the other, before firing high past Kwarasey from ten yards out.
- 42′ CHI 2-1 GHA: Isaac Vorsah is penalised for handball at a corner by the Slovenian referee. Up steps Arturo Vidal who smashes the penalty the penalty into the bottom corner.
- HT: Chile 2-1 Ghana, Saudi Arabia 0-2 Italy. CHI and ITA qualifying.
- 49′ CHI 2-2 GHA: Ghana equalise with a fantastic counter-attacking goal five minutes after the break. Derek Boateng wins the ball from Sánchez and sets Absul Majeed Waris away down the left wing. The half-time sub sends a great cross over for Jordan Ayew to smash home a the far post.
- 71′ CHI 2-3 GHA: It’s another breakaway on the counter for Ghana. From their own six-yard box, the ball goes forwards to André Ayew who bursts up the left before picking out Jordan Ayew with a great cross that he turns home and puts Ghana in front. They need a third Italian goal though.
- 75′ CHI 2-3 GHA: There’s a caution for Carlos Carmona that will rule him out of the Second Round if Chile can force an equaliser.
- 87′ SAU 0-3 ITA: Giovinco plays a long free-kick forwards into the box and Ignazio Abate gets on the end with a fine header to score his second-ever international goal. Great news for Chile who have whatever’s left to grab an equaliser against Ghana.
- 90′ CHI 3-3 GHA: What a strike! We had late drama in Group D yesterday with USA going through on a goal 2:32 into stoppage time, but this just steals its thunder. Carmona is unchallenged as he heads a Ghanaian goal-kick back up-field towards Humberto Suazo. He plays a one-two with Campos Toro before smashing it home from 20 yards out. There’s 92:36 on the clock!
Italy win the group and will play Netherlands. Chile sneak through and will face Norway.