Argentina play Mexico is a winners-takes-all game as both sides look to join Australia in the Second Round. There’s no combination of results that can knock the Socceroos out thanks to their superior goal difference, but they’ll be hoping to progress as Group G winners with a win over Sweden.
Odds: Australia 13-8 v. Sweden 6-4F (Draw 2-1)
Odds: Mexico 3-1 v. Argentina 4-5F (Draw 2-1)
- 03′ MEX 1-0 ARG: Early start in the decider! Guardado whips a corner in and Javier Hérnandez gets ahead of his man and pokes the ball home from close range.
- 03′ AUS 0-1 SWE: Within seconds, there’s a goal in the other game too. Elmander has a deflected shot spilled by Federici and Pontus Wernbloom has an easy finish from twelve yards out. Third Swedish goal for the CSKA defender.
- 31′ MEX 1-1 ARG: Stunning equaliser for Argentina in a game they must win. Messi plays the ball into Gonzalo Higuaín on the edge of the penalty arc who takes a touch and slams it into the top corner.
- 41′ MEX 1-2 ARG: The Real Madrid striker gets his second of the game and puts Argentina in front just before the break. Messi again the provider as his run draws away the centre-back before he finds Gonzalo Higuaín who slots home from 15 yards out.
- Half-Time: Australia 0-1 Sweden, Mexico 1-2 Argentina. AUS and ARG qualifying.
- 46′ MEX 1-2 ARG: Argentina fortunate to still have eleven men on the park as Martin Demichelis takes away the legs of Giovani dos Santos. He gets a yellow card that’ll put him out of the next match though.
- 51′ AUS 0-1 SWE: There’s a yellow card for Rhys Williams that will rule him out of the Second Round match after he clatters Ibrahimovic in the air.
- 63′ MEX 1-2 ARG: Dos Santos is involved again and is tripped right outside the box by Nicolás Otamendi who gets booked and will miss the Second Round if Argentina hold out for the win.
Argentina hold out and pip Australia to win the group.
Australia already through, settling for second on goal difference.